Have you wanted to earn your GED or learn English but could not attend class without childcare?
The Central Connecticut Family Literacy Center at YWCA New Britain was created for you! It is the only Adult Education Center in New Britain developed to meet the needs of women and their young children.
- FREE GED and ESL classes for women
- Four components- adult education, childcare, parent education, and play and learn activities for women and children
- Childcare for children 8 weeks and up while their mothers are in class- the ONLY site in New Britain!
- Highly trained and qualified teachers
- Small class size and personal attention
Women enrolled must participate in all four components. To enroll, one must be a mother with at least one child under age 8 and be a resident of New Britain.
Hours are Monday-Thursday, 9:30-1:30 and students must participate 3 days a week. Students who are interested in enrolling must call for an appointment. An entrance exam to determine placement is required and will be scheduled upon enrollment. Schedule is determined when pre-test is completed.
For more information, contact Barbara Heidenis at 860-225-4681 x234 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Johanna earns her GED!
Johanna Arroyo dropped out of high school because she felt like she didn’t fit in. Soon after, she became pregnant and in 2014 delivered her son Johan. A few months later, a friend of hers told her about the GED program YWCA’s Family Literacy program offered-a free program with childcare available so she could further her education knowing her son was in good hands. Read more.