Middle school can be a challenging time for young adults. YWCA New Britain's STRIVE is a free program that provides youth development activities for girls attending Slade Middle School. STRIVE, which stands for Strength, Teamwork, Respect, Individuality, Vision, and Excellence, is a program where girls can feel safe and comfortable, while still learning and having fun.
Girls meet four times a week, Tuesday - Friday from September to May. Program hours are from dismissal until 6:00 p.m.
- FREE programming
- Variety of hands-on activities
- Opportunity to meet and interact with other girls with different and shared interests
- Academic assistance and use of computers to complete school work
- Discussion and exploration on issues important to young teens such as healthy body development, goal setting, conflict resolution, and prevention awareness
- Healthy recreational outlets including field trips, cooking, and sleepovers
- Enriching trips and outings to the theater, local colleges, and more
- Opportunities to participate in community service projects
- Free snacks
- Transportation provided from school to home- door to door
Applications can be picked up and dropped off at the YWCA or at the school’s main office or guidance office. You can also download an application here. Registration is limited, and a priority list is consolidated by the guidance counselors at the middle school. For more information about the STRIVE program, contact Mallory Deprey at 860-225-4681 x292 or firstname.lastname@example.org.