House of Teens
Many high school girls call YWCA New Britain's House of Teens (H.O.T) their “home away from home.” At the H.O.T., we offer teens a comfortable, safe, and positive place to call their own. H.O.T. is an afterschool program designed for high school girls ages 13 to 19 that offers teens a variety of activities focused on enhancing healthy life styles. The program is dedicated to helping teen girls accomplish their personal goals and gain the confidence and independence they need be future leaders.
The H.O.T. is open Monday - Friday from 2:30 to 6:00 p.m.
- Fun teen-choice activities
- Access to fitness facility, individual workout plans, group exercise classes, and pedometer challenges
- Ability to recover health or physical education credits or work toward volunteer hours
- Dance and gymnastics instruction
- Complete your capstone project by helping with advocacy projects about issues important to teens
- Teen talks, team building, cooking, and stress management
- Monthly trips
- Monthly late-night Fridays
Alaizha Franklin told me something recently she said most people are surprised to hear. She told me she was a 16-year-old high school student who didn’t drink, didn’t do drugs, and hasn’t had sex. She considers herself in the minority of girls her age.
Why has Alaizha made responsible, healthy choices? In part, she says, because the YWCA has helped her stay on the right path. Read more